Search our site
Read our Post
Choose a method to view our posts
Sign Up!Get news,
Just type in your e-mail address below and hit "Sign-up!"
- Jill Blanco on Trivia Time! Answers to America’s Past Time
- Angie Bellamy on A taste of the Middle East: Mediterraneo of DeKalb
- maureen russell on September 23rd to 25th • Sycamore Film Festival
- NVM on August 2011 New Values Magazine arrives!
- Marcy A Bruhn on August 2011 New Values Magazine arrives!
Follow us online:
Tag Archives: carrots kale spinach eye health
As we age, the probability that we’ll suffer from an eye disorder increases significantly. By age 65, about one-third of adults will have a vision impairment condition and by age 80, that percentage increases to 50% of us.
One of the most common conditions affecting older Americans is age-related macular degeneration or AMD. It’s the leading cause of blindness in adults over age 55. AMD results from the breakdown of the macula or small area in the retina at the back of the eye. Contributing factors to AMD include exposure to sunlight, smoking and even everyday contaminants in your environment.
One preventative solution to AMD are antioxidants. Research over the past decades has shown that eye health is linked closely to diet and lifestyle. Being overweight, diabetic, smoking, eating a high-fat diet and consuming alcohol excessively can all contribute to poor eye health. Eating a diet low in fruits and vegetables is also shown to be detrimental.